How to take care of tattoos so that they do not lose ink and what are the best products to hydrate the skin after getting one
Is it normal for a tattoo to lose color over time? What types of creams should I use? How to properly heal wounds caused by multiple punctures? A dermatologist gives us the keys to take care of the tattoo and always have it as new. With us, you will know the best aftercare tattoos creams.
They have served to demand respect, mark achievements on the skin and punish criminals. Tattoos today are seen everywhere: tattoos on elite athletes, movie stars, and even elected officials. According to the statistics shown by the Netflix documentary Tattoos, in 2015 one in three Americans had a tattoo, when the data three years earlier said that it was one in five. But many years ago, having tattoos was not something so common and even today they must be erased or hidden in countries like the United Arab Emirates to be in the military or in China to appear in the visual media.
The logo of your team, the name of a family member, tribal styles, phrases from our experiences, iconic people… People have always wanted to be different from each other and for this we have tattooed ourselves, although now it is a upward trend and it is difficult to find someone who does not have a tattoo on their body. But in this process there is a painful part. There is a very intense moment when the needle penetrates the skin.
How to care for tattoos
Keeping the tattoo clean and well hydrated with creams is essential so that the pigment does not degrade, explains dermatologist Sarah O’Connor. “When you get a tattoo, the ointments that are usually applied are antibiotics, but if they are not medical, healing creams would be enough for it to heal. I personally think that Hustle Butter is a good option. In addition, it is always convenient to apply protectors sunscreens on tattoos so that the color does not fade and the skin does not burn. This is something we should always do, throughout the life of the tattoo, and not just until it heals, “adds Dr. Sarah O’Connor.
For his part, the doctor in dermatology, Charles Line, recommends any type of Vaseline-based cream with regenerating active ingredients (vitamin E, squalene, Saniderm Tattoo Aftercare Bandage…). “The important thing to apply the cream is that the skin is very clean and cover it later”. According to the doctor, it is also convenient to wash the wound daily with mild soap, apply the aforementioned cream and then cover it with a plasticized dressing. “Being covered and moist with the cream, it will not form an excessive scab, which can make the new tattoo fade and lose intensity and even leave a scar in the tattooed area”.
Best aftercare tattoos creams 2023
Do you want to know the best tattoo care creams? Here we leave you a list of tattoo care products to heal the skin and prolong the quality of the tattoo.
Hustle Butter Deluxe Tattoo Aftercare: Tattoo Balm, Helps Heal and Maintain Your Art
A replacement for petroleum-based product, our tattoo butter cream will help you get your skin moisturized and lubricated helping you before, during or after you get your skin tattooed.
Looking to brighten up your skin?
Tattoo butter is the ideal choice to make your skin feel rejuvenated. Moreover, our cosmetic-grade vegan tattoo care butter cream allows your skin to breathe easily and protects it from infections.
- TATTOO AFTERCARE ESSENTIAL: Hustle Butter is the original luxury tattoo aftercare product for new and older tattoos. Safe to use right after getting a tattoo to help heal and reduce irritation unlike others. Makes tattoos older tattoos pop and rejuvenates them.
- REVIVES COLOR, PREVENTS FADING: Through daily use Hustle Butter prevents fading and revives color that may have occurred over time in older tattoos.
- USED & RECOMENDED BY ARTISTS WORLDWIDE: Hustle Butter Deluxe making the tattoo experience better for the artist and the client. Unlike others, Hustle Butter does not remove stencils or clog tubes allowing for colors to go in easier. Artists then often sell or give Hustle Butter to their clients so they can heal better and protect their new art.
- THE ORIGINAL: Back in 2011 Richie Bulldog, a staple in the tattoo community, knew tattoos needed more care than the mass market lotions and creams. It has to be all natural and use top quality ingredients to penetrate the skin deep enough to reach the ink. Hustle Butter was born and now is sold all over the world but still made here in the U.S.
Buy it here at a price of 14.99 usd
Saniderm Tattoo Aftercare Bandage: Breathable Waterproof Bandages, Sanitary Transparent Adhesive Wraps, Protect and Heal Tattoos
One of the best things about Saniderm is how easy it is to apply. Even for difficult to protect areas such as feet or the upper back, Saniderm makes protecting your tattoo easy.
- YOUR TATTOO WILL LOOK BRIGHTER AND NEWER FOR LONGER: When you use Saniderm tattoo aftercare bandages you get more vibrant colors and darker darks. Saniderm wrap does this by locking in the moisture your body needs to heal quickly, reduce peeling, and eliminate dryness and scabbing on your tattoo.
- HEAL AND CARE FOR YOUR TATTOO LIKE A PROFESSIONAL: Saniderm tattoo aftercare bandages and balms are artists tested, preferred, and approved. When you use Saniderm products you’re using the same products that professional tattoo artists use on themselves and their clients.
- YOUR TATTOO IS COVERED AND PROTECTED: During those critical days after getting your tattoo water, dirt, and germs can irritate, lead to infection, and damage your ink. Using Saniderm tattoo aftercare bandages helps ensure that your tattoo is protected from foreign contaminants. Saniderm wraps are also 100% breathable to give your tattoo the oxygen it needs to heal properly.
- PROTECT AND HEAL YOUR INK AND THE PLANET: Using Saniderm means you’re using ethically sourced and eco-friendly products to protect, heal, and maintain your tattoo as well as the planet. Take care of your tattoo and the environment.
- LATEX FREE: Saniderm tattoo aftercare bandage wraps are always latex-free. This makes it easier for you to protect your new tattoo and help it heal faster without having to worry about latex-related allergies.
Buy it here at a price of 12.95 usd
Mad Rabbit Tattoo Balm & Aftercare Cream: Tattoo Lotion for Color Enhancement – Brightener & Moisturizing Ointment
- ENHANCE & MAINTAIN YOUR INK – Your tattoos represent a significant investment of time, money, and body real-estate. Make them look their best, while taking care of your skin. Eye-popping vibrancy from the first use.
- FOR NEW OR EXISTING TATTOOS – Enhanced depth, clarity, and contrast for all your body art. Keeps your tats healthy while also preventing ink discoloration. Maintains and restores the vibrancy you remember, now and for years to come.
- NATURAL ORGANIC INGREDIENTS – Inked Magazine’s preferred tattoo aftercare brand, our tattoo balm is made from only seven all-natural, vegan, cruelty-free ingredients that will soothe, protect and moisturize. No harsh ingredients, parabens or sulfates, ever!
- GREAT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN – Whether you have sensitive skin, or you’ve had a tattoo applied to a sensitive area of the body, trust Mad Rabbit.
- WORKS ON ALL SKIN COLORS AND INK COLORS – Great for bright colored art or monochrome blacks and blues. The perfect solution, no matter how much melanin you’ve got!
Buy it here at a price of 18.00 usd
Tattoo Care Sunscreen: SPF 30+ Ointment for Tattoo Sun Protection, UVA/UVB Sun Rays Protection, Deeply Moisturizes and Protects Ink Against Fading
Our unique ointment for skin has an active formula and special structure that focuses on high ink and high skin protection. This new formula doesn’t just block out the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays, but also puts a second ink-barrier to help keep your tattoos and skin safe. Our ink tattoo lotion SPF 30 provides double protection by blocking the sun from harming your skin and your tattoos. This helps to keep your tattoos and skin stay moisturized and nourished so your ink is protected better. Tattoo Care Sun Protection has also a light Cocoa and Coconut fragrance that will make your feel summer joy and help your skin will smell divine. Our formula is also Paraben free!
- TATTOO SUN PROTECTION – Made especially for inked skin. Sunscreen ointment with 30+ SPF and Broad-Spectrum UVA/UVB light protection. Deeply moisturizes and nourishes skin. Prevents tattoo colors from fading and cracking.
- BENEFITS/FACTS – Easy to apply, leaves no white cast, soaked in quickly. Ideal for outdoor activities, tanning beds or as microblading aftercare. Made to resist wear off. Water and sweat resistant. Super deep skin moisturizing effect. Will make colors more vibrant. Light Coconut scent, which to us, smells like careless summer day.
- WITH SCIENCE AGAINST TATTOO FADING – Our sunscreen lotion offers double layer of protection. It has active sun filter that will protect skin outer layer. While also penetrating deeper into the layer where your tattoo is. There it will hydrate your skin from the inside + protect your ink against drying and cracking. That’s the most important factor that makes tattoo colors fade!
- NATURAL AND SAFE – Made from the finest natural ingredients, proven to benefit your skin. Active specialist ingredients include Calendula, Jojoba, Bisabolol, Allantoin, Cocoa butter with added Vitamin E. Dermatologically tested for safety. Suitable for every skin type and tone. Paraben free!
Buy it here at a price of 14.99 usd
Base Labs 5% Lidocaine Numbing: Cream for Tattoos, Piercings, Waxing , Tattoo Numbing Cream, Topical Anesthetic Cream I Numb Gel Brazilian, Microneedling, Microblading Lip Injections
- NUMBING CREAM FOR TATTOOS & COSMETIC PROCEDURES – Our extra strength Numbing cream completely numbs the often unbearable pain of getting a tattoo! With Lidocaine 5% it contains the highest allowed amount in non-prescription topicals. Our Tattoo Numbing cream is best used for many cosmetic and medical procedures such as Piercings, Microneedling, Microblading, Lip Injections, Brazilian & Laser Hair Removal, Waxing, Dermal Fillers, Eyebrow, Electrolysis and Botox.
- PAIN FREE NUMBING EFFECT – Our Topical Numbing Cream contains many natural ingredients such as hemp seed oil, chamomile, aloe vera and tea tree oil, which help excel the benefits of Lidocaine and care for your skin simultaneously. So whether you use a brazilian waxing kit for women, microblading kit, home waxing kit for women, microblading eyebrow kit, doing lip injections, botox or jelly waxing kit it will be a much more bearable procedure than without our cream!
- FAST ACTING LOCAL ANESTHETIC – Our Maximum Strength Pain Relief Numbing Gel only takes 15-30 minutes to numb your skin! It should be part of every tattoo kit out there! Just apply the cream shortly before you’re ready for whatever treatment you’re getting! Tattoo Numbing Creams should be part of everyone’s tattoo supplies and tattoo kits. After your treatment your practitioner can apply tattoo aftercare like tattoo goo or tattoo lotion without any problem as our cream is grease free!
- EXTRA STRENGTH PAIN RELIEF – Our skin numbing cream works for up to 4 hours! It’s the ideal numb cream for tattoo & numbing cream for laser hair removal as you can use it for short and long sessions likewise. There’s no stronger Lidocaine numbing cream available OTC! Our topical numbing cream contains Lidocaine 5 percent and is the ideal lidocaine gel & topical lidocaine for tattoo numbing. Our numbing gel, wax numbing cream & piercing numbing cream will make many treatments much less painful!
- LIDOCAINE PAIN RELIEF CREAM – Extra Strength Topical Anesthetic Pain Relieving Cream which Reduces the pain and discomfort from Nerve Pain, Itching, Sutures, Burning, Minor Cuts, Soreness, Muscle/Joint Pain and bruises. Our Lidocaine Cream is so effective, we offer a Full Satisfaction Guarantee. If you’re among those very few non-responders to Lidocaine and don’t feel the anticipated numbing effect of our cream, please reach out to us!
Buy it here at a price of 19.35 usd
Other recomendations to consider
Dermatologist Charles Line provides the following advice to anyone who wants to get a tattoo:
- Avoid starting with very large or multicolored tattoos, it is advisable to start with a small one and see how our skin responds for a few months before doing a larger one.
- Avoid colors such as red, which has a higher rate of inflammatory reaction.
- If you have a family or personal history of dermatological diseases such as psoriasis, eczema or lichen planus, consult a dermatologist before getting a tattoo, as this could trigger an outbreak.
- If the tattoo in the days after the pain is unbearable, the skin around it becomes red and inflamed or yellowish crusts form, consult your dermatologist immediately, these may be signs of a skin infection.
*As an Amazon Affiliate, Tatto Shops Near Me earns revenue from qualifying purchases that meet the applicable requirements.
Find out where to get your next tattoo
If you are interested in getting your first tattoo or getting the next one, you can check the nearest tattoo shop on our website, you can also use the search engine that we have enabled for you in the main menu. We inform you that in Tatto Shops Near Me we have more than 15 thousand registered tattoo shops.
More articles about the tattoo aftercare in our blog
If you liked the article and want to know more about tattoo care, here is a list of the articles we have written for tattoo aftercare. If you do not find what you are looking for, you can leave the information you need in comments, we will work to publish it as soon as possible and thus resolve your doubts.
Our recomended articles
Here we leave you the most recommended articles on our website. These articles feature amplified information on tattoo care, tattoo designs, areas to get a tattoo, and much more. This section will be updated according to the visits and interactions that occur in them. If you want to recommend any of the articles to appear in recommended, do not hesitate to leave a comment on the chosen article.